These Foods Are Good For Your Mood
It is well known that eating chocolate makes us happy. According to a recent study done at the Nestlé Research Center in Switzerland, eating dark chocolate (1.4 ounces of it, to be exact) every day for two weeks reduced stress hormones in people who were highly stressed. Too bad we can't just sit and much on chocolate all day.
There are other foods that we can add to our shopping lists this year that nutritionists say will boost our moods naturally. So before you head out to the grocery store for your first shopping trip of 2016, check out the list below of foods that are good for your mood. Just a reminder for those of us who feel a bit droopy today!
1. Fatty fish like salmon and tuna. The fatty acids found in these fish not only have brain-boosting properties to fight depression, but improve circulation and reduce inflammation and your overall risk of heart disease.
2. Walnuts. The Omega-3 in walnuts is great for our brain health.
3. Dark-green leafy vegetables like spinach, asparagus and Brussels sprouts. These veggies have lots of Folate - a B vitamin which studies have shown can help with depression.
4. Oranges and Papaya are fruits high in Vitamin B6 and Folic Acid, shown to help improve moods as well.
5. Healthy Carbs. Whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta are foods good for your mood as they help the body release serotonin - a 'feel good' brain chemical.